By Chuck Ring (GadaboutBlogalot ©2009 -2011
Quote Freely From The Article – Leave The Pseudonym Alone
NOT two peas in a pod. Fatah and Hamas, each a Palestinian political party, are poles apart in their attitudes toward the death of Osama bin Laden. Hamas, ever the terrorist group, naturally bemoans the death, while Fatah touts the death as a gift to world peace. This demonstration of disunity, after an agreement of unity was signed by both parties on April 27th, is quite telling, and Reuters.com provides a report on the differences in a story by NiIdal al-Mughrabi:
“Getting rid of bin Laden is good for the cause of peace worldwide but what counts is to overcome the discourse and the methods — the violent methods — that were created and encouraged by bin Laden and others in the world,” PA spokesman Ghassan Khatib said.
In the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, Haniyeh accused the United States of pursuing a policy based on “oppression and the shedding of Arab and Muslim blood.”
“We condemn the assassination and the killing of an Arab holy warrior,” he said.
Hamas condemned as a terrorist groups by major powers in the world, have their detractors within other terrorist groups that believe Hamas is too moderate:
Political analysts in the Gaza Strip said Haniyeh was attempting through his remarks to cool tensions in the territory with al Qaeda-inspired Salafi groups. They consider Hamas too moderate and waged gun battles recently with its forces.
“Haniyeh took in his consideration the situation in Gaza and the strong presence of Salafi groups. It was an attempt to reconcile with them after the fighting,” said analyst Hani Habib.
Israel is unhappy with the accord, believing the result will be more attacks against Israel. The US has looked at the new accord with less than enthusiasm. It seems the Palestinians are in constant turmoil against their own and against their perceived Israeli boogeymen.
You can read the entire story by going to this link and look for related stories at the links below.
- Differences emerge before Palestinian unity deal (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Hamas pledges to honor truce with Israel in new government (AP) – Ha’aretz (news.google.com)
- Palestinian unity presents Israel with choice: Go for broke or shun at all costs (jta.org)
- Hamas To Honor Israeli Truce In New Government (huffingtonpost.com)
- Fatah and Hamas terrorists meet at PIJ terrorist HQ (elderofziyon.blogspot.com)
- Judith Levy: Two Potential Short-Term Outcomes to the Hamas-Fatah Reconciliation (benzinga.com)
- Palestinian factions divided on response to bin Laden (salon.com)
- Hamas leader condemns US killing of bin Laden (foxnews.com)