By Chuck Ring (GadaboutBlogalot ©2009 – 2010)
Quote Freely From The Article – Leave The Pseudonym Alone
We are so far behind in the development of nuclear energy we may never catch up, ever if the Nuclear Regulatory Agency (NRC) should get out-of-the-way. There are those who chomp at the bit and say they want to get going to protect our future need for electric energy and regain our economic place in this world that is leaving us behind. But, first the so-called environmentalists who would save us from ourselves need to examine what many feel are selfish motives in their fight against nuclear energy. This is not your father’s nuclear energy generating plants we are advocating … technology and safety have come an extremely long way since Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, but our politicians, the “environmentalist” groups, the Department of Energy (DOE) and our NRC are stuck on stuck.
We live in New Mexico, a place covered with scientists of all persuasions, and blessed with two research laboratories (Los Alamos National Laboratory and Sandia National Laboratory (LANL & SNL.) Why then are we not rapidly overcoming all the obstacles standing in our way for real energy independence.
The Republicans and Democrats share in the responsibility for this dearth of nuclear energy and it truly is time to find a solution to the impasse we have been strangled by for so many years. Before we place all our efforts on wind and solar which have a shorter life expectancy as producing units, let’s back -up and pick-up nuclear generation of power. We are
ignorant stupid and relegated to the status of a second-rate nation if we continue the status-quo
While we are at it, why not look at energy sources other than uranium. According to the video posted below Thorium is a fuel which may have proven capabilities and it is not radioactive … although it definitely has its detractors; it also has serious advocates:
We just had an election, maybe President Obama’s administration and all the new Representatives and Senators can find common ground before it is just muck and mire. Here’s another short video; this video deals with attempt to scare nuclear energy out of existence and why we should get off our collective butts when it comes to nuclear energy production:
In the meantime … in between times, let’s drill where it is feasible and wean ourselves (at least some) from foreign petroleum.
- Scientists hail metal thorium as alternative source of energy (rt.com)
- MiniFuji Thorium Reactor Group Talks to Potential Partners and Customers and Prototype GE-Hitachi Prism Integral Fast Reactor for Savannah River Gets Closer (nextbigfuture.com)
- Carnival of Nuclear Energy 18 (nextbigfuture.com)
- Development of Tiny Thorium Reactors Could Wean the World Off Oil In Just Five Years (popsci.com)
- More on Thorium-Based Nuclear Power [Mike the Mad Biologist] (scienceblogs.com)
- Obama could kill fossil fuels overnight with a nuclear dash for thorium (telegraph.co.uk)
- A Bipartisan Energy Solution: Nuclear Power (time.com)
- Small Nukes, Big Promise? (thinkup.waldenu.edu)
- India’s nuclear energy expansion gets funding and Germany’s nuclear reactors are officially extended (nextbigfuture.com)