By Chuck Ring (GadaboutBlogalot ©2009 – 2010)
Quote Freely From The Article – Leave The Pseudonym Alone
The word on the street is that belly fat might make for a better, or more precisely, a healthier heart. It would be, just after I lost a good twenty pounds, heading to twenty-five and beyond. I’ll take the loss for now, especially since there’s always more to learn, but it is interesting to learn what the study indicated. To that end let’s look at a Smart Planet article by Janet Fang:
Scientists have found a heart-healthy use for belly fat.
The treatment reduced the amount of damaged heart tissue, increased blood flow in the heart, and improved the heart’s pumping ability, according to molecular cardiologist Eric Duckers from Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
As you can see this was not an ordinary study and you can see more when you read more information found below:
Eleven men and three women – who had each suffered a severe heart attack – were recruited for the double-blind, placebo-controlled study called APOLLO, which comes from “a randomized clinical trial of adipose-derived stem cells in the treatment of patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction.”
Between 200 and 250 cubic centimeters of fat were liposuctioned from the abdomen of each patient. From those fat cells, the researchers used a Celution 800 device (Cytori Tx) to isolate 20 million regenerative stem cells, which went right into the patient’s heart through a catheter.
There are surprises among the results and I won’t spoil the story for you, when you can read it for yourself. Just click on the following … big cells.
What could make this a great story, besides the obvious health advantage, is that it might take the argument regarding embryonic cells and make both the argument and the use of the embryonic cells for such procedures obsolete.
There is still a danger from adipose tissue, AKA body fat, so don’t start growing a paunch thinking that you’ll bank it for later treatment. See the links below — especially the last one.
- Stem cells from belly fat can help heart patients (topinews.com)
- Belly Fat Stem Cells May Help Heart (webmd.com)
- ‘Spare tyre’ could save lives: belly fat helped heart attack patients (dailymail.co.uk)
- “Treating heart attack with fat-derived stem cells may be safe in humans” and related posts (sciencecodex.com)
- Treating Heart Attack with Fat-Derived Stem Cells May Be Safe in Humans (nlm.nih.gov)
- The Truth About Belly Fat (webmd.com)
- Fat Cells Grow Differently in Belly Vs. Bottom (health.usnews.com)
- Children’s Belly Fat Affects Heart Risk (children.webmd.com)